Careers at Missouri River Energy Services
An engaging culture, competitive pay, and comprehensive benefits make MRES a great place to work.
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, S.D. We are a joint-action agency supporting 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electric distribution systems in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
We offer a flexible and friendly work environment that promotes a long-lasting career, which is demonstrated by our 98 percent employee retention. We provide competitive salaries, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package with unique offerings not found at other employers, and we invest in our employees with ongoing training and development.
MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sioux Falls Ranked as the 3rd Hottest Job Market in 2020.—ZipRecruiter
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in 2019 as the Best City—SmartAsset
for Young Professionals.
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in Best Small Places—Forbes 2018
for Businesses and Careers.
Find A Job
Manager of Cyber Security
We are looking to hire a manager of cyber security. In this position, you will have the opportunity to manage the information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT) cyber security requirements for MRES. This position:
- Develops corporate IT and OT cyber security policy and operating procedures; ensures network security; provides project management, subject-matter expert support for internal staff, regulatory compliance, and corporate IT/OT security strategy.
- Manages assigned major and critical application IT Security Systems and services (including network hardware, software systems, desktop systems, mobile and remote systems, associated operating systems, risk assessments, security audits, penetration testing, and vulnerability assessments) to meet user-functional needs.
- Reviews day-to-day management of IT and OT security operations.
- Provides leadership, vision, and guidance for programs related to cyber security and compliance management that have organization-wide impact..
- Develops and institutes cyber and physical security compliance goals, objectives, policies, and procedures. Develops metrics and reporting for management to ensure compliance with internal and external compliance requirements, including NERC/CIP regulations.
- Creates and communicates strategies for risk mitigation and deploys an integrated security toolset.
- Manages securing of all platforms and centralizes security event management.
- Develops, implements, and maintains incident response and disaster recovery planning activities.
- Identifies, selects, and deploys standard risk assessment models and appropriate governance frameworks, such as NIST or COBIT.
- Develops and delivers risk and security awareness training for key staff and stakeholders.
- Establishes guiding principles for flexible, yet holistic, compliance management for the organization.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in information systems or similar field and seven years of progressively responsible experience to include a minimum of five years’ leadership experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Advanced degree preferred.
- Certifications in CISSP, CISA, CISM, or GICSP (preferred).
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career. For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to email@example.com. The position closes: March 12, 2020. MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apprentice Line Worker – Ortonville, Minn. (Temporary Position)
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join our team providing distribution maintenance services to the City of Ortonville. This is an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on knowledge and experience as an Apprentice Line Worker and be a part of our electric crew in Ortonville, Minn., during the construction season. This is a temporary position beginning in May and may work up to 1,000 hours.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Requirements:
- High School Diploma.
- Accredited Power or Electrical Line Worker Program Diploma is preferred, one-year minimum. Individuals pursuing education in this field will also be considered.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to follow safety procedures as well as written and verbal instructions.
- Able to interact and communicate effectively with co-workers and the public.
For consideration, send your resume for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is March 31, 2020.
The Communications Coordinator promotes the interests and reputation of Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) to its members, non-members, and the media through the development and delivery of various communication materials, content, programs, and services by performing the following duties.
- Plans, interviews, writes, develops, publishes, and provides information through written materials and publications.
- Creates and maintains effective communications channels and manages the flow of news about the organization.
- Develops and implements ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the company and the organization’s point of view.
- Assists and coaches company staff with public speaking engagements, presentation development, and preparation of articles for publication.
- Researches, writes, and oversees production of the organization’s videos.
- Assists with content development and maintenance of MRES internet web sites.
- Creates and produces MRES graphic materials, audio visual, and digital communications materials.
- Takes photos and videos at corporate events and other activities.
- Creates, recommends, and develops social media strategies, content, and materials.
- Recommends strategies and coordinates communications to increase employee awareness and provide information on company developments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field, and one to two year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent overall and written communication skills are required, including content writing for all media platforms.
- Strong skills in photography, graphic design, and videography required.
- Ability to apply design principles and generate creative solutions.
- Expertise in the use of content management software, Microsoft® Office, and Adobe® Photoshop and InDesign required.
- Innovative skills, including ability to think creatively, express original ideas and approaches preferred.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career. For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to email@example.com. The position is open until filled. EOE
An internship at MRES is an advantage for students who want to learn more about engineering, communications, accounting or business. We give students real-world experience and our interns work on projects that matter. MRES internships usually begin in late May. You'll gain real work experience, and you’ll work with a team that encourages learning and growth.
2020 Communications Summer Internship
We’re looking for an enthusiastic full-time intern for summer 2020. Submit your application by Friday, March 6, to get in the running. You’ll need a resume, cover letter, and some work samples to show us.
Depending on your skill set, you could be working on a variety of projects such as:
- Take “on the job” photos and videos of employees in Sioux Falls and travel to our member communities to do the same.
- Assist in the development of our Value of Public Power campaign.
- Assist with marketing materials.
- Assist with website content.
- Write persuasive copy for all media, including video, social, print, radio and more that helps promote public power utilities
- Support MRES social media efforts
Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and successfully interact with others.
- Preference with video editing software, and Photoshop and/or Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator and InDesign.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, without close supervision.
- Familiar with current social media.
- Possess a current valid driver’s license
For consideration submit your resume and cover letter describing your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 6.
Students pursuing a degree in Journalism, Marketing, Graphic Design, Digital Media, Communications (Business, Public Relations) or English are encouraged to apply. This paid position begins in mid-May and goes through mid-August (but we’re flexible).
You’ll build a resume with lots of real work experience, and you’ll work with a team that encourages learning and growth.
MRES is an organization of 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electrical distribution systems. Visit our website at www.mrenergy.com to learn more about us.
Learn more about Careers in the Energy Field
The possibilities are endless with a career in the energy industry. All types of skills and interests are needed in a wide range of careers -- from engineers to accounts, and from communicators to IT. With the right education and training, you can begin a rewarding, well-paying energy career.
Learn more about the industry at Get Into Energy.
Learn More About The Sioux Falls Area
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota. From its miles of trails and lakes, local wineries and breweries, to world-class music, theater and a thriving foodie scene, Sioux Falls offers big-city perks with small-town charm.
Sioux Falls is the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest, with businesses and residents eager to move in. Key economic sectors include agribusiness, education, finance, healthcare and telecommunications, and businesses here enjoy South Dakota’s lack of a state corporate income tax.
The Sioux Falls School District serves more than 23,000 students.