Careers at Missouri River Energy Services
An engaging culture, competitive pay, and comprehensive benefits make MRES a great place to work.
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, S.D. We are a joint-action agency supporting 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electric distribution systems in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
We offer a flexible and friendly work environment that promotes a long-lasting career, which is demonstrated by our 98 percent employee retention. We provide competitive salaries, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package with unique offerings not found at other employers, and we invest in our employees with ongoing training and development.
MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in Best Small Places—Forbes 2017
for Businesses and Careers
Find A Job
Perform retail electric and water utility cost-of-service studies and financial analysis, and design retail rates along with writing rate study reports for Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) member utilities.
- Collects and maintains utility retail rate and cost-of-service data.
- Develops and performs utility specific retail rate studies and analysis and cost-of-service research and studies.
- Develops and performs utility specific financial and billing analysis and retail rate designs for consideration by utility representatives.
- Develops and writes rate study reports that include all rate study recommendations.
- Performs and provides related member services as required.
- Monitors and analyzes the retail rates and services of other energy and utility providers.
- Maintains and updates databases of member and other utilities’ financial and billing information.
- Represents MRES on industry, development, project committees, task forces, and conferences as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, engineering, or a closely related field.
- Two years of experience in financial analysis combined with a solid understanding of financial statements is preferred.
- High level of detail orientation and outstanding analytical skills to synthesize complex and diverse utility financial and billing information.
- Proven problem solving capabilities through data set analysis and best solution development.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Demonstrated competencies in sound judgment, decision-making, and critical thinking.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities under pressure and work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate technical issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative style.
- Experience in utility cost of service analysis and retail rate design, electric utility accounting practices, rate structures, and operations is preferred.
- Public communication and presentation abilities are preferred.
- Intermediate skill level with utilizing Microsoft Suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Position is required to travel up to 10 percent of the time including occasional evenings and overnight stays.
Apply Today: We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career. For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to email@example.com by December 6, 2019. EOE
Energy Services Field Representative
Establish and enhance relationships with Missouri River Energy Services' (MRES) members and their customers to reduce peak demand where beneficial and optimize the efficient use of electric energy.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with members and their energy customers.
- Assists members in developing and implementing strategies for serving key accounts to promote positive relationships and loyalty.
- Markets and implements energy efficiency, demand management and efficient electrification programs and other energy services to members and their customers through on-site meetings, public events and presentations.
- Helps educate member utilities and their customers on energy efficiency, electrification technologies, and other MRES programs and services.
- Trains and assists members in evaluating and processing rebate applications to ensure accuracy and compliance and maintain program integrity.
- Prepares reports on energy efficiency and demand reduction realized by members and their customers, compares to MRES program goals, and files with state and federal agencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, engineering or related field, and four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- This position is a home-based position with member communities located in eastern North Dakota and west-central Minnesota. The ideal candidate would be located in the Fargo/Moorhead area.
- Ability to work independently and with integrity is essential.
- Position is required to travel to include occasional evenings and overnight stays.
- Excellent relationship-building, communications, analytical and organizational skills are required.
- Experience in energy efficiency, key accounts, communications or marketing in the electric utility industry is preferred.
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long lasting career.
For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. EOE
An internship at MRES is an advantage for students who want to learn more about engineering, communications, accounting or business. We give students real-world experience and our interns work on projects that matter. MRES internships usually begin in late May. You'll gain real work experience, and you’ll work with a team that encourages learning and growth.
Check back with us next year for open internships.
Learn More About The Sioux Falls Area
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota. From its miles of trails and lakes, local wineries and breweries, to world-class music, theater and a thriving foodie scene, Sioux Falls offers big-city perks with small-town charm.
Sioux Falls is the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest, with businesses and residents eager to move in. Key economic sectors include agribusiness, education, finance, healthcare and telecommunications, and businesses here enjoy South Dakota’s lack of a state corporate income tax.
The Sioux Falls School District serves more than 23,000 students.