Careers at Missouri River Energy Services
An engaging culture, competitive pay, and comprehensive benefits make MRES a great place to work.
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, S.D. We are a joint-action agency supporting 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electric distribution systems in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
We offer a flexible and friendly work environment that promotes a long-lasting career, which is demonstrated by our 98 percent employee retention. We provide competitive salaries, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package with unique offerings not found at other employers, and we invest in our employees with ongoing training and development.
MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sioux Falls Ranked as the 3rd Hottest Job Market in 2020.—ZipRecruiter
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in 2019 as the Best City—SmartAsset
for Young Professionals.
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in Best Small Places—Forbes 2018
for Businesses and Careers.
Find A Job
Energy Services Field Representative
Establish and enhance relationships with Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) members and their customers to reduce peak demand where beneficial and optimize the efficient use of electric energy
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with members and their energy customers.
- Assists members in developing and implementing strategies for serving key accounts to promote positive relationships and loyalty.
- Markets and implements energy efficiency, demand management and efficient electrification programs and other energy services to members and their customers through on-site meetings, public events and presentations.
- Helps educate member utilities and their customers on energy efficiency, electrification technologies, and other MRES programs and services.
- Trains and assists members in evaluating and processing rebate applications to ensure accuracy and compliance and maintain program integrity.
- Prepares reports on energy efficiency and demand reduction realized by members and their customers, compares to MRES program goals, and files with state and federal agencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, engineering or related field, and four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- This position is a home-based position with member communities located in eastern North Dakota and west-central Minnesota. Ideal candidate would be located in the Fargo/Moorhead area.
- Ability to comprehend and explain complex energy efficiency and electrification technologies, and other MRES programs and services.
- Position is required to travel to include occasional evenings and overnight stays.
- Excellent relationship-building, communications, analytical and organizational skills are required.
- Experience in energy efficiency, key accounts, communications or marketing in the electric utility industry is preferred.
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career.
We're hiring for an energy scheduler! In this position, you will be part of the Energy Scheduling Team, which operates on a 24/7 basis. The energy scheduler is responsible for: monitoring the MRES load and resource positions in electric markets; evaluating marketing and scheduling options to optimize its market position; scheduling generation and load requirements; and directing, oversight, and operations of generation resources to meet energy and reliability needs
Additional responsibilities include: communicating and interacting with regional transmission organizations such as the Midcontinent Independent System Operator, Inc., (MISO), Southwest Power Pool (SPP), power companies, natural gas schedulers, and power plant operators on a regular basis; oversight of energy schedule deliveries and market transactions to meet purchase and sales requirements; and oversight of energy accounting and reconciliation as necessary with MISO, SPP, and other utilities.
Required Knowledge, skills, and abilities are: outstanding math and analytical skills; superior attention to detail; high level of initiative and ability to think and act quickly in a fast-paced environment; excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; demonstrated competencies in problem-solving and economical decision making; customer-centric approach to building strong relationships; collaborative and flexible work style and the ability to interact well within a team; strong proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Outlook (advanced knowledge of Excel is a plus); associate’s degree, or two years of post-high school education in a field related to Energy, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, or Business and a Bachelor’s degree or additional related experience is a plus; ability to work 8-hour or 12-hour rotating shifts; experience in energy scheduling, energy marketing, or power plant operations is desired; and strong mechanical and technical energy-related knowledge is a plus.
For consideration, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An internship at MRES is an advantage for students who want to learn more about engineering, communications, accounting or business. We give students real-world experience and our interns work on projects that matter. MRES internships usually begin in late May. You'll gain real work experience, and you’ll work with a team that encourages learning and growth.
Learn more about Careers in the Energy Field
The possibilities are endless with a career in the energy industry. All types of skills and interests are needed in a wide range of careers -- from engineers to accounts, and from communicators to IT. With the right education and training, you can begin a rewarding, well-paying energy career.
Learn more about the industry at Get Into Energy.
Learn More About The Sioux Falls Area
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota. From its miles of trails and lakes, local wineries and breweries, to world-class music, theater and a thriving foodie scene, Sioux Falls offers big-city perks with small-town charm.
Sioux Falls is the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest, with businesses and residents eager to move in. Key economic sectors include agribusiness, education, finance, healthcare and telecommunications, and businesses here enjoy South Dakota’s lack of a state corporate income tax.
The Sioux Falls School District serves more than 23,000 students.