Careers at Missouri River Energy Services
An engaging culture, competitive pay and comprehensive benefits make MRES a great place to work.
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. We are a joint-action agency supporting 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electric distribution systems in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.
We offer a flexible and friendly work environment that promotes a long-lasting career, which is demonstrated by our 98% employee retention. We provide competitive salaries, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package with unique offerings not found at other employers, and we invest in our employees with ongoing training and development.
MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Career Opportunities at MRES
Go to careers.mrenergy.com to learn more and apply today!
Career Opportunities in Our Member Communities
Electric Lineworker – Worthington, Minnesota
Worthington Public Utilities is currently accepting applications for the position of electric lineworker. This position performs skilled work in the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of the municipal electric distribution system. The ideal candidate will have completed a post-secondary powerline technician program and will have three or more years of experience working in the industry. Apprentice level applicants will be considered and are encouraged to apply. Must have or have the ability to acquire Journeyman certification and a Minnesota Class A commercial driver’s license. The position is subject to pre-employment and ongoing drug and alcohol testing in accordance with our established program.
The current pay range for the position is $36.11 to $48.85/hour and compensation includes an excellent benefit package. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and completed Worthington Public Utilities Application for Employment form to Scott Hain, General Manager; Worthington Public Utilities; P.O. Box 458; Worthington, MN 56187. Initial deadline for submitting applications is Monday, March 18, 2024. Call (507) 372-8680 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request an application form. Application forms can also be found at www.worthingtonutilities.com by clicking on the “Administration” tab and then “Careers”. No resumes will be accepted without a completed Worthington Public Utilities application form.
Temporary Apprentice Lineworker – Marshall Municipal Utilities
***This temporary apprentice lineworker position will be employed by Marshall Municipal Utilities and not by Missouri River Energy Services.***
Marshall Municipal Utilities (MMU) in Marshall, Minnesota, is accepting applications for a temporary apprentice lineworker, with the opportunity to work up to 1,000 hours depending on business needs and performance. This position is for our 2024 summer and fall construction and maintenance season, which runs approximately from May through November. Full-time employment could potentially be offered based upon objective performance criteria. This position includes the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines and 15 miles of transmission lines in a progressive community serving approximately 6,500 customers. Applicants must be a graduate of an accredited powerline school program, have knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), have familiarity with the National Electrical Safety Code Book, and be willing to participate in MMU’s Apprenticeship Program. A Minnesota commercial driver’s license is also required. Applicants currently enrolled in an Apprenticeship Program for Lineman are encouraged to apply.
A full and detailed job description can be downloaded from MMU’s website at www.marshallutilities.com under career opportunities.
The 2024 compensation rate for this position is set at $37.10 per hour.
Applicants should submit a completed application, a copy of their resume, and three references to: Amy Karbo, Marshall Municipal Utilities 113 South 4th Street, Marshall, MN 56258. Application information can be obtained by calling 507-537-7005, contacting Marshall Municipal Utilities in person or via e-mail at email@example.com. An application for employment can also be downloaded from MMU’s website at www.marshallutilities.com under career opportunities.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, March 1, 2024, by 4:30 p.m. The tentative starting date is Monday, May 13, 2024. MMU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Assistant Financial Manager – Brookings, South Dakota
Brookings Municipal Utilities is looking for an assistant financial manager to perform administrative and supervisory work in planning, organizing, and directing the activities of the accounting, billing and collection, and human resource departments. Serves as the principal officer in charge of the accounts, budgets, and internal audits of the Utility.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist with the overall supervision, direction, coordination and evaluation of the Accounting, Billing & Collections, and Human Resource departments.
2. Assist with the development and implementation of administrative policies and guidelines; advises staff as to administrative procedures and policies. Ensure Board policies and implemented as directed.
3. Assists with the administration of personnel policies, plans and procedures as outlined by the Board.
4. Assists with overseeing the implementation, operation, and supervision of the accounting system. Ensures adequate records of assets, liabilities, and transactions are maintained. Facilitate internal audits. Establishes, advises, and guides the accounting staff in the administration of accounting programs and procedures according to generally accepted accounting principles.
5. Assist with ensuring adequate systems are maintained to effectively initiate utility and communications services and the issuance of customer bills and collection of receivables.
6. Works closely with department managers in establishing accounts and developing procedures to provide maximum coordination and uniformity of accounting practices.
7. Compares performance with operating plans and standards and reports and interprets the results of operations to all levels of management. Assists with the development of accounting policies, overseeing department cost control, coordinating systems and procedures, and preparing operating data and special reports as required.
8. Reviews existing financial processes and recommends the designs of new processes to ensure efficiency and effective internal controls.
9. Compiles, analyzes, and interprets significant data to assist management in making sound decisions and taking responsible action.
10. Assists with the supervision and coordination of the preparation of reports for government agencies.
11. Assists with the preparation, in conjunction with other officers and department heads, of a capital budget, annual budget and annual report covering all activities of the Utility.
12. Assists with overseeing the preparation of telecommunication Universal Service Fund programs and filings with Federal and State regulators, telephone carrier access billing and toll settlements.
13. Assists with financing transactions including bond issues and State Revolving Fund programs.
14. Assists with the administration of insurance policies and programs i.e., liability, property, vehicle, health insurance and worker’s compensation.
15. Assist with valuation assessments, due diligence information requests and financial analysis as requested.
16. Assists with the administration of contracts for purchase of video content and assist with negotiated contract extensions and renewals.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
1. Graduation from college or university with a master’s in business administration and/or attainment of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation with responsible administrative experience in accounting or equivalent combination of training and experience. CPA designation preferred.
2. Thorough knowledge of finance and accounting practices and procedures.
3. Knowledge of or the demonstrated ability to learn the laws and regulations governing the operation of the telephone, electric, water and wastewater utilities.
4. Ability to supervise and direct personnel in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
5. Ability to assemble, organize, and present in oral or written form, statistical, financial, and factual information.
6. Ability to analyze and interpret significant data to formulate conclusions and recommend appropriate courses of action.
1. Ability to read and comprehend simple to complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos presented either written or orally.
2. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
Certification, Testing and Examination:
1. Ability to obtain CPA designation if not already certified. CPA designation must be obtained within a reasonable timeframe as determined by the Financial & IT Manager.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign the duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.
Click here to view the full job description or apply online with Brookings Municipal Utilities.
Water Superintendent – Pierre, South Dakota
The City of Pierre is seeking an individual knowledgeable about water treatment and distribution who will be responsible for managing a state-of-the-art treatment plant. This position is responsible for managing the operations and maintenance of the city’s water treatment plant and maintenance of the distribution system including fiscal operations and administration. Plans, directs and supervises the operations and maintenance of the water distribution and treatment system. Ensures compliance with local, state and federal drinking water regulations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma and three years of related supervisory experience. Possession of or ability to readily obtain Class III Water Treatment and Class II Water Distribution. Must clearly demonstrate ability to successfully manage budgets, projects and personnel. Must possess strong administrative skills and display strong oral and written communication skills. It is very important that this person have a demonstrated record of success at bringing diverse individuals, groups and organizations together to accomplish projects.
SALARY: $78,076.37-$92,585.56 plus comprehensive benefit package including 100% employer paid employee health, dental and life insurance along with a 6% employer match to the South Dakota Retirement System and 12 paid holidays. Up to $2,000 annual educational assistance available. Wage offer will be based upon actual education and experience.
UP TO $3,000 HIRING BONUS!
Open Until Filled
Laurie Gronlund, HR Director
City of Pierre
PO Box 1253
Pierre SD 57501
This position is open until filled. For more information, call 605-773-7429 or go to cityofpierre.org/jobs. EOE
Learn More About The Sioux Falls Area
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota. From its miles of trails and lakes, local wineries and breweries, to world-class music, theater and a thriving foodie scene, Sioux Falls offers big-city perks with small-town charm.
Sioux Falls is the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest, with businesses and residents eager to move in. Key economic sectors include agribusiness, education, finance, healthcare and telecommunications, and businesses here enjoy South Dakota’s lack of a state corporate income tax.
The Sioux Falls School District serves more than 23,000 students.
Learn more about Careers in the Energy Field
The possibilities are endless with a career in the energy industry. All types of skills and interests are needed in a wide range of careers — from engineers to accounts, and from communicators to IT. With the right education and training, you can begin a rewarding, well-paying energy career.
Learn more about the industry at Get Into Energy.