Careers at Missouri River Energy Services
An engaging culture, competitive pay, and comprehensive benefits make MRES a great place to work.
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, S.D. We are a joint-action agency supporting 61 member municipalities that own and operate their own electric distribution systems in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
We offer a flexible and friendly work environment that promotes a long-lasting career, which is demonstrated by our 98 percent employee retention. We provide competitive salaries, a comprehensive/low-cost benefits package with unique offerings not found at other employers, and we invest in our employees with ongoing training and development.
MRES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sioux Falls Ranked #1 in Best Small Places—Forbes 2017
for Businesses and Careers
Find A Job
The Communications Coordinator promotes the interests and reputation of Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) to its members, non-members, and the media through the development and delivery of various communication materials, content, programs, and services by performing the following duties.
- Plans, interviews, writes, develops, publishes, and provides information through written materials and publications.
- Creates and maintains effective communications channels and manages the flow of news about the organization.
- Develops and implements ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the company and the organization’s point of view.
- Assists and coaches company staff with public speaking engagements, presentation development, and preparation of articles for publication.
- Researches, writes, and oversees production of the organization’s videos.
- Assists with content development and maintenance of MRES internet web sites.
- Creates and produces MRES graphic materials, audio visual, and digital communications materials.
- Takes photos and videos at corporate events and other activities.
- Creates, recommends, and develops social media strategies, content, and materials.
- Recommends strategies and coordinates communications to increase employee awareness and provide information on company developments.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field, and one to two year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent overall and written communication skills are required, including content writing for all media platforms.
- Strong skills in photography, graphic design, and videography required.
- Ability to apply design principles and generate creative solutions.
- Expertise in the use of content management software, Microsoft® Office, and Adobe® Photoshop and InDesign required.
- Innovative skills, including ability to think creatively, express original ideas and approaches preferred.
- Effective planning and organizational skills.
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career. For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. EOE
Energy Services Field Representative
Establish and enhance relationships with Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) members and their customers to reduce peak demand where beneficial and optimize the efficient use of electric energy
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with members and their energy customers.
- Assists members in developing and implementing strategies for serving key accounts to promote positive relationships and loyalty.
- Markets and implements energy efficiency, demand management and efficient electrification programs and other energy services to members and their customers through on-site meetings, public events and presentations.
- Helps educate member utilities and their customers on energy efficiency, electrification technologies, and other MRES programs and services.
- Trains and assists members in evaluating and processing rebate applications to ensure accuracy and compliance and maintain program integrity.
- Prepares reports on energy efficiency and demand reduction realized by members and their customers, compares to MRES program goals, and files with state and federal agencies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, engineering or related field, and four years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- This position is a home-based position with member communities located in southeast South Dakota and northwest Iowa. Selected candidate will be required to live within that service territory.
- Ability to comprehend and explain complex energy efficiency and electrification technologies, and other MRES programs and services.
- Position is required to travel to include occasional evenings and overnight stays.
- Excellent relationship-building, communications, analytical and organizational skills are required.
- Experience in energy efficiency, key accounts, communications or marketing in the electric utility industry is preferred.
We provide very competitive wages, a comprehensive/low-cost benefit package, and an outstanding work environment that promotes a long-lasting career.
For consideration, send your resume describing your qualifications for the position to email@example.com. The position closes January 31, 2020. EOE
Power Plant Operations and Maintenance Technician
Exira Station is a peaking power plant utilizing GE LM6000 gas turbines. This position is responsible for operating, maintaining, and repairing the Exira Station to ensure it sustains the highest level of operating status. The Operations and Maintenance Technician (O&M Tech) works primarily Monday through Friday, primarily days and is required to be on call 24 hours/day on a rotational basis. This is a non-exempt position reporting to the Exira Station Plant Manager. Key job responsibilities include:
- Operates the plant and associated equipment for energy production.
- Performs the duties of a power plant operator, and power plant maintenance technician.
- Evaluates and performs the testing, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance associated with the gas turbine control system, BOP control system, electrical, and mechanical systems and facilities.
- Assists with installing equipment modifications and improvements.
- Follows MRES approved safety practices and procedures, and communicates unsafe conditions.
- Completes the maintenance for all buildings and grounds.
- Assists with the purchasing, receipt, inspection and documentation of supplies and materials.
- Oversees projects and prepares documentation associated with the plant.
- Minimum of two years of work experience with process equipment, mechanical equipment, instrument and controls (I&C) or electrical equipment, or in an electrical trade. Allen Bradley PLC/Control Logix/ Factory Talk experience a plus, or strong mechanic/millwright experience a plus.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience in mechanical, electrical, or instrumentation maintenance.
- Demonstrated trouble-shooting and problem-solving abilities.
- Proven analytical skills and a strong detail orientation.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of initiative and a collaborative work style.
- Organizational and project management capabilities.
- Experience with an asset management system and Microsoft Office.
- Reside within 30 minutes of the plant.
- Be on call on a rotational basis 24 hours/day to respond to emergency situations.
- Current valid state driver’s license.
- Stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time and work at heights in confined areas.
- Lift objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Normal color vision.
- Handle or work with toxic/hazardous substances, operate and work around energized equipment.
- Work outdoors in all types of weather.
Please submit your resume and cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications for the position by January 31, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An internship at MRES is an advantage for students who want to learn more about engineering, communications, accounting or business. We give students real-world experience and our interns work on projects that matter. MRES internships usually begin in late May. You'll gain real work experience, and you’ll work with a team that encourages learning and growth.
2020 Generation Summer Internship
We are seeking a student in an Engineering program and interested in power generation for a full-time summer internship in our Generation department located in our corporate office in Sioux Falls, S.D. The position begins in mid-May and goes through mid-August.
In this position you will be working on a variety of projects dealing with generation facilities owned by MRES and its member municipalities including, but not limited to, combustion turbines, wind turbines, and hydroelectric turbines. This may include short-term responsibilities involving any or all of the following: research, project development, preventative maintenance strategy development, 2-D and 3-D modeling, data entry, and documentation.
Working conditions will include office and some field work which could include light lifting, infrequent climbing, and occasional exposure to temperature and noise.
- Demonstrated CAD drafting skills (some on-the-job experience is preferred)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office - Word, Excel and Access
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to pursue a career in the energy industry
- Have completed or currently be enrolled in your sophomore year or study
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining your qualifications email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.
Learn More About The Sioux Falls Area
MRES is headquartered in Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota. From its miles of trails and lakes, local wineries and breweries, to world-class music, theater and a thriving foodie scene, Sioux Falls offers big-city perks with small-town charm.
Sioux Falls is the fastest growing metro area in the Midwest, with businesses and residents eager to move in. Key economic sectors include agribusiness, education, finance, healthcare and telecommunications, and businesses here enjoy South Dakota’s lack of a state corporate income tax.
The Sioux Falls School District serves more than 23,000 students.